Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid say they will not attend a LaLiga meeting next week. Held in Dubai, the league’s Extraordinary General Assembly is set to take place on December 7.
Both clubs, as well as the other LaLiga teams, were notified of the meeting on November 25.
Barcelona and Real Madrid claim that “it was a wrong time” for the League
Barça issued an official statement on the matter. “FC Barcelona’s position has always been to reach consensual agreements after having examined the issue in a consistent manner and respecting all positions,” the statement said.
“Therefore, we do not believe that it is the right time to travel to Dubai for an event that could take place at the headquarters of LaLiga and, once again, we show our opposition to any form of action that we consider injurious to the rights and interests of FC Barcelona.”
Real joined their rivals in the boycott. “It is totally unjustifiable to address in this impromptu and urgent manner, without adequate debate and calm analysis, relevant modifications to the internal regulations of LaLiga,” the club said.
“It is completely inappropriate and deeply incoherent for LaLiga to commit the economic waste of displacing more than 100 people to carry out an event of these characteristics, on these dates, in the United Arab Emirates, when it could be held at LaLiga’s headquarters without incurring extraordinary costs”.
Teams fighting with the league over a failed ESL lineup
The two teams have had a difficult relationship with LaLiga since the duo attempted to form the European Super League. Barça and Real were among a dozen clubs who tried to form a new breakaway competition in 2021. However, the strong backlash quickly put the kibosh on the plans.
However, Barça, Real and Juventus have not lost hope in the failed league. ESL officials have previously stated that they will make another attempt at the competition in 2024. There is no indication of possible teams joining the trio.
PHOTO: IMAGO / AFLOSPORT